Early Action to Sustain Employment
SUSE has been awarded a grant to run a pilot project from the Health & Social Care Alliance Self-Management Fund. The project runs for 18 months from October 2019 to March 2021.
The project is being delivered by SUSE in partnership with one of our members Values into Action Scotland.
Aim of the Project
We want to test what happens if people who have gone into work have a tool that allows them to assess their wellbeing, highlight what is working and what is not and have greater control over the support they receive.
EASE is a proof of concept project to develop a self-management tool for employees who have a disability or long term condition. For the moment we are calling the tool the EASE Grid.
How Will We Do This
- We will recruit 24 people with disabilities or long term conditions who have entered employment (to be recruited from SUSE member organisations).
- We will develop a monthly self-assessment form which the participants will complete at home or at work.
- The forms will be sent to SUSE’s Membership Co-ordinator (Michelle Ramsay) who will collate them and share them with the person’s employment worker.
- We will analyse the forms to look for patterns and anything we can learn from them – to see if using the tool has made it easier for people to self-manage.
- We will use the knowledge we gain to develop a final version of the EASE Grid bid March 2021 and we will produce a report on our findings.
- If we can demonstrate that the grid works we will look for further funding to develop a version of the tool as mobile phone app.
In order to run the project we need to recruit 24 participants by January 2020. We are hoping SUSE members can help by identifying suitable candidates – people who have a disability or long term condition who have recently entered employment (past few months) or are doing so before the end of the year. This can be any type of paid employment including supported businesses and social enterprises in any part of the country. The participants will be trained to use the SUSE Grid and supported throughout the 12 month period to December 2020 by VIAS staff. We will of course ensure that suitable systems are in place to maintain privacy and confidentiality and we will meet appropriate costs.